“It Sounds Muddy”
So, you want to be a “Pro Audio Engineer” Seminar and Clinic in Denver May 6-8, 2018
Here are the details and schedule:
The Soiled Dove Underground Denver 7401 E 1st Avenue Denver, CO 80230
Day one schedule and topics:
May 6, 2018 1 PM to 8:00 PM (Dinner Included)
- First we all load in!
- Full concert setup with multiple mixing consoles from Midas, Roland, APB analog, and Allen & Heath! We learn analog to make concrete knowledge of analog signal flow, then translate that into all of the major digital consoles. When the seminar is over, you will be able to work on any digital or analog desk on the market.
- Beginner to advanced EQ theory including the most important knowledge of sonic elements of instruments, voices, including full big band/rock band engineering.
- Acappella specific engineering and EQ techniques.
- Signal flow basics to advanced. What is that center section of a console?
- Microphone selection. Types of microphones and how they are used.
- Digital vs Analog concepts of modern live sound including networks in modern digital sound, like Dante, Madi, REAC, and Ultranet.
Day two schedule and topics:
May 7, 2018 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM (Lunch Included)
- Concepts in client relations, and how to “get and keep the gig”. This is probably the most important part of the training!!!
- We will be virtually mixing using the Roland M-5000 the Venetian Las Vegas Ray Charles Tribute Big Band show featuring Take 6, Kirk Whalum, Nnenna Freelon, and the Las Vegas Mass choir. Yes, a virtual mix of a big band show, in real time as if the artists were right there on stage. We will also have the option of virtually mixing the Vocalosity Tour, and the Laura Dickinson 17 live Big Band concert in LA, or 10 time Grammy winners Take 6. See Video of a Tony Huerta live mix. We will also have the option of doing live mixing on the Allen & Heath SQ5 used as a 32 track I/O.
- The 3 keys to success as a live mix engineer.
- In Ear monitoring Theory. check out this Blog to get started. See BLOG
- How to “Tour”, get the tour, keep the tour??
- Technical Knowledge vs. Creative Mixing, know yourself! A great engineer is Left and Right brained. Do you know where you sit? Do you know how to become more balanced?
- Virtual mixing practice for all participants.
- Further reinforcement of the “Sonic Elements” style of audio engineering.
- Business concepts to take your knowledge into a fully functioning business entity, plus social media.
Day three schedule, Virtual Mixing:
May 8th, 2018 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Virtual mixing challenges! You will be thrown into the stressful situation of putting together a mix of a genre of music you are not familiar with. Country, Rock, Choral, big Band, A cappella, and Jazz. I might even be able to find an orchestral concert to throw your way. Anything goes!!! You will be challenged, and supported by the other engineers in the training.
Afterwards, join us for a free BBQ and info session at the Sonic Audio Studio in Broomfield, CO from 2:00-5:00PM.
this is the wrap up/ party! Lots of BBQ, Beer, wine, FUN! Plus, we can get into the studio and talk about engineering concepts for the studio.